Saturday 5 November 2011

Fete de la Pomme in Trévières.


The Calvados region of Normandy is famous for it's culinary heritage based on fine local products such as butter, crème fraîche, world famous cheeses and of course apples!


A visitor to our region cannot help but notice the multitude of small farms, each with an apple orchard or two, as they drive along the country lanes.


You can often call in and buy home made cider from the owners, sometimes you might also find Normandy's famous apple based brandy, Calvados, or the apple based apéritif, Pommeau, for sale.


Last Sunday we visited the small town of Trévières for the Fete de la Pomme where we wandered around the exhibition of apples staged by "la corporation Saint Fiacre de Bayeux" (gardening club of Bayeux).
We stood for a while and watched the ancient apple press being put through it's paces, over 1 ton of apples were crushed during the day.


Trévières is twinned with Stokeinteignhead, Devon, U.K. and delicious baked apple goods, home made by the ladies of the Association, tempted us.


We bought two small apple crumbles and a bowl of Teurgoule, which is very similar to an English rice pudding, for our dessert that evening.

Joining The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday # 73
 with this glimpse of life in rural Normandy.

14 comments:

  1. This would have been a fascinating place to wander through. We lived in the Okanagan in BC for nine years and had many variety of apples to choose from. There are so many new varieties these days but we always like our old favorites. It seems strange to live in a province where all the apples are brought in from other places in Canada and the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness- what a lovely time of year for that visit- I love apple festivals--- the food looks absolutely tempting!! The apple crusher is an amazing thing! You certainly had a wonderful day-!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. that must have been such a lovely visit, I love all your photo's and I loved the ancient applepress.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for bringing us another facet of Freanch life.

    I love all the fetes of France they are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I what I miss most about living in Europe is the access to wonderful food festivals. I'd have been sorely tempted by those apple treats! Do you make any of the rich chicken and calvados dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your site through a comment you made on another with the nursery rhyme Little Bo Peep. I loved the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie,I am back from my travels and am now busily trying to catch up with all my favourite bloggers, who have all been so busy in my absence. You certainly had some interesting posts for me to browse through this evening, I enjoyed them all. A belated Happy Wedding Anniversary to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maggie,

    This table of apples looks so colorful and Fallish. I love to drive by apple orchards in the fall. It looks like you had a great outing that day, and those assorted pastries and desserts in the last picture look wonderful!

    This might be a dumb question, but you mentioned the Bayeaux Garden Club. Would that be in the same region as the famous Bayeaux Tapestries?

    Happy Seasonal Sunday!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maggie, I've never seen an ancient apple press. Its interesting to see and think about the fabulous Calvados being made. On our drive through the country
    lanes of Normandy we enjoyed several stops at apple orchards to taste and buy Calvados. Thanks for the memories.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at all those kinds of apples. So wonderful. They are the best fruit, so versatile.
    I've never tried Calvados - it sounds very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting day devoted to apples. I am sure that you got a lot of good ideas as to how to serve apples. Frankly, I them right off of the tree. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The apple baked goods look heavenly! Looks like a wonderful afternoon!
    Here from seasonal Sunday.
    Have a great week,M
    Sarah has been very quiet. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maggie, this looks like such fun. I wish I were back there! xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was snowing when we arrived in Baltimore so we enjoyed hot apple cider while sitting by a cozy fire. Nice welcome for a Texan. ;-)
    Looks like this was a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!