Tuesday 24 November 2009

This one’s for Rhonda..........Hungarian Goulash


For last week’s Tablescape Thursday I shared our Sunday evening supper table, complete with hot steaming bowls of Hungarian Goulash.
My sister Rhonda who lives in New South Wales, Australia and is currently suffering temperatures over 40 degrees C, became quite nostalgic when she saw my TT.
I doubt she will ever experience weather cold enough to contemplate making goulash but she has asked me for the recipe and how could I refuse my baby blister?
Click here to see what got her all nostalgic.
The recipe came from “Slowcooker” by Sara Lewis and so I’m linking up today with Debbie's Crockpot Wednesday @Dining With Debbie. Do call around and say hi to Debbie and read all about the mouth watering recipes that you can make, so easily, with your slow cooker.

.
This is the author’s description of Hungarian Goulash:
“Goulash is often considered a mild stew although a true Hungarian goulash can be quite fiery since the paprika available in Eastern Europe comes in four strengths. Combine paprika with chilli powder for a hotter dish. Serve with warmed sauerkraut or plain boiled potatoes.”


The recipe:
Serves 4
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 8 to 10 hours
Slow cooker size: standard.
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
700g (1lb 6oz) pork, diced
1 large onion chopped
150g (5 oz) button mushrooms halved
2 tsp. Paprika, plus extra to garnish
¼tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 tablesp. plain flour
400g (13 oz) can chopped tomatoes
450ml (3/4 pint) hot chicken stock
salt & pepper
sour cream to serve

1) Preheat the slow cooker if necessary. Heat the oil in a frying pan then add the pork, a few pieces at a time, until it has all been added to the pan. Stir in the onion and cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
2) Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the spices and the flour and cook for one minute. Mix in the canned tomatoes then bring the mixture to the boil.
3) Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker pot. Stir in the stock and season with salt and pepper, cover with the lid and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours. (My slow cooker does not have a choice of settings, it’s on or it’s off! I switched mine on and set it for 6 hours after which I tasted the dish. I then cooked it for a further hour).
4) Spoon the goulash onto plates top with spoonfuls of sour cream and sprinkle with a little extra paprika.



Bon appétit

15 comments:

  1. Delicious recipe Maggie. I have an easier version but also delicious. Meat and paprika and tomatoes together always give that great taste.
    Thank you for sharing. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie,

    Just sounds yummy. What cut of pork do you use? I have made a simiar dish with beef but yours sounds wonderful.

    Have a wonderful day.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, we called these crock pots, and they were all the rage when we married in the 70s. We received two for wedding gifts. Unfortunately those electric pots are no longer with us, but if we still owned a slow cooker I would give this a try. Off to continue preparations for tomorrow. Happy Day! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great sounding recipes. I am sure they are very tasty, but I do not cook much anymore. I truly enjoy what others prepare. Thee will be a big feast at your house with you sharing in the cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost smell it from the Ozarks! We are having our Thanksgiving tomorrow and I just wanted to tell you I'm thankful to have you in my blog world.

    God bless ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really does sound wonderful, Maggie. I love goulash and a recipe for the crock-pot is most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie, just found your delightful blog via Mary and her Perfect Bite. ;) We love goulash and will have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Goulash, and that looked SO good, Maggie. I now have your recipe to try one of these cool days..and we will have a few in January at least! Great table, great blog..don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maggie!!

    I copied the recipe the other day but forgot to leave a comment!! All I need is a pkg. of mushrooms and I am set to make the ghoulash. I am so excited as I haven't had this in so long, and then it was at a restaurant, I believe.

    Also want to tell you that your package arrived here Wednesday. Thank you!! And thank you for the caramels!! Such a sweet surprise!!

    Have a lovely evening!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maggie...I have been making crock pot Hungarian Goulash for years but not like this recipe...I look forward to trying your version..An I use my crock pot a few times a week so I need to check out the link to the crock pot lady and see what other dishes I can make....Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Fannie Flagg's book you talked about A Redbird Christmas. I enjoyed although it was sad in places. You are highlighted on my blog tomorrow, since I am doing all my followers for my birthday month.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandmother used to make goulash, but I never have. Maybe now I will try it! Thanks so much for posting the Deck the Halls button--see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, Maggie, I needed to drop by your blog after the week I've had. You've got something for every part of me! The goulash looks delicious, and your book recommendations are welcome - I love Fannie Flagg, but didn't know the Redbird book. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The goulash looks great. I like anything I can cook in a crockpot/slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Big Blister,
    Thanks for the personal touch with the recipe, it makes it even more special. I will keep it and use it on that Special occasion when I find the other half of the dinner for two!
    Your mantelpiece setting was amazing and the way you have the mirror and reflection is a work of art. You should be a professional.
    If you still have the David Winter snow cottage could you put that in the next one. Unfortunately I can not get one to add to my collection and I remember your vividly from Germany.
    Thanks again
    All my love
    Little blister

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!